Total Pageviews

Friday, February 18, 2011

Donna Sanborn, Make Up Artist : Guest Blogger



Making the transition from the cosmetic industry to corporate America has left me a little out of touch with my inner diva. But honestly, I totally get it. I used to get to work around 9:30 am which left me plenty of time to get some sleep, apply smoky eyes, contour my cheeks, and dodge the morning rush hour. Now, I find myself trading eye shadow for an extra 15 minutes of sleep. Lately I’ve been trying to get in the habit of wearing more makeup because, quite frankly, it makes me feel better.
That being said, I love eyeliner. But like a lot of women, my eyelids are a bit greasy. Normally, if I don’t apply eye shadow base and eye shadow before liner, I have a big black frown on my eyelid by mid morning.

I was able to wander around Ulta for a while the other day and loaded up on all kinds of new eyeliners. There are so many cool mass market brands popping up, I can’t help but want to test everything out. The good news is I found a fabulous solution to my problem!

For 3 days now, I have been using my normal eye cream (Garnier Anti-Sun Damage SPF 15 eye cream), wearing my favorite mascara (Clinique High Lengths) some bronzer, and Prestige TOTAL Intensity Eyeliner Pencil in Deepest Black. Every single day my eyeliner has lasted into the evening with no smudging!
I line my top lashes and then dot in between my bottom lashes and smudge. Here’s the key, this eyeliner sets after about 30 seconds or so.  Once it sets it won’t move. Apply it to one eye, and smudge it with a q-tip or brush right away. This particular color is the blackest black eyeliner I’ve ever found in a pencil. (Yes, Heather, it’s blacker than smolder!) There were a ton of other colors and for $3 a pencil I am totally hooked.

I also wanted to mention another mass market brand that I’m really impressed with called NYX. Over the weekend I tried their Studio Liquid Liner in Extreme Black, a set of fake lashes, and an eyebrow pencil. With a price point of about $5, I really liked everything I tried. The liquid liner has the thinnest, most precise brush I have ever used and it’s just stiff enough to give you a lot of control, but still soft enough to glide along your lash line.  
Based on the 3 things I tried from NYX, I'm excited to get back and try the eyeshadows. I noticed they had a huge selection of colors. I'll make sure to test them out and let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment